Paid student placements with SPARK Calgary teams
SPARK Calgary’s digital health start-ups are partnering with Experience Ventures to offer paid entrepreneurial thinking placements to students. Become a change maker! Our goal is to inspire your creativity, resiliency, and future vision – so you can seize your future with the right skill set.
About the placements
Through an Experience Ventures placement with a SPARK Calgary team, students can hone future ready career skills and make an impact while working alongside digital health experts on a project they can see through over an 80-hour placement. Placements are flexible, part-time, and mostly remote, and students will receive a stipend of $825 for their time.
Current opportunities available:
- There are no current opportunities available at this time.
W21C Summer Studentships
W21C offers a limited number of interdisciplinary summer studentships each year (based on available funding) to applicants who demonstrate a commitment to rigorous research practices and an interest in improving public health and health systems outcomes. Students who are currently enrolled in post-secondary programs are eligible to apply.
Applications are now closed for Summer 2023!
W21C Studentship Position Details:
- Summer studentships run from May to August.
- W21C summer students will be matched with a Principal Investigator, and will have the opportunity for mentorship and engagement with health care innovators at the University of Calgary.
- In addition to assisting in research activities, the students will participate in research learning workshops and conduct presentations.
- Please review the full W21C Summer Student job profile before submitting your application.
Application Deadline and Interview Process:
- If you are interested in pursuing a summer student position for the upcoming summer, please submit your resume and cover letter (as one file) to email@example.com.
- In your cover letter, please let us know if you have received scholarships or funding to support your summer research opportunities, or if you are applying to fulfill an internship or practicum as part of your program (and if this comes with partial or full funding).
- Deadline for submission was January 6, 2023 (for summer 2023).
- Qualified applicants will be contacted in January 2023 for interviews.
For additional questions, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Meet our 2022 Summer Students!
Tessa is a graduate from the University of Lethbridge with a BSc. (Honours) in Neuroscience & Psychology, and she is currently completing a Master of Biomedical Technology at the University of Calgary. Prior to joining the W21C team, Tessa conducted research in a paediatric psychosocial oncology lab at the University of Calgary, studying ways to improve care for paediatric cancer patients. She also conducted research at the Canadian Center for Behavioural Neuroscience, using neuroimaging techniques to study various aspects of learning and decision making. Tessa’s passion for research and improving patient care has led her to W21C, where she is excited to continue learning and growing as a clinical researcher. Outside of academia, she enjoys backcountry skiing, rock climbing, and baking.
Negar Dehghan Noudeh
Negar completed her undergraduate degree at the University of Toronto in Honours Bachelor of Science, double majoring in Human Biology and Nutritional Sciences. During that time, she completed a research study on the pharmaceuticals of protein stability and another research project on the relationship of iron status with premenstrual symptoms. She is currently in the Master of Biomedical Technology program at the University of Calgary. Her non-academic interests are doing landscape photography, playing tennis, and zendoodling.
Ariet is entering her last year of a combined Biology/Sociology degree at the University of Calgary. Ariet has worked alongside other authors on a research study exploring the responses of Canadian medical schools to anti-Black racism. Her research interests lie in racial disparities in healthcare, and her hobbies include doing jigsaw puzzles and playing soccer.
Ajay is currently completing his Master of Biomedical Technology Degree at the University of Calgary. He previously obtained a Bachelor of Science degree from the University of Alberta, majoring in psychology and minoring in biological sciences. Ajay has previous research experience with the Faculty of Medicine and Dentistry at the University of Alberta in which he created educational modalities for liver cancer patients and conducted a review of palliative care models
Meet past Summer Students!
2021 Summer Students
- Jillian Alexander, Jillian was entering her third year of Information Design at Mount Royal University.
- Anna Bradford, Anna completed her undergraduate degree in Molecular, Cellular, and Developmental Biology at the University of Alberta, during which she completed her undergrad thesis at the Cross Cancer Institute focusing on the disease Fanconi Anemia. Anna completed her graduate studies in the Master of Biomedical Technology (MBT) program at the University of Calgary. Following her time as a summer student, Anna joined the W21C team as a Research Assistant.
- Duaa Fatima, Duaa was entering her third year of Bachelor of Health Sciences, majoring in Health and Society at the University of Calgary.
- Dr. Cindy Hutchison, Cindy completed her undergraduate degree, a double major in Microbiology and Human Biology and minor in English, her medical degree, and residency training in anesthesiology at the University of Toronto. Cindy was completing a Communications degree, majoring in Information Design, at Mount Royal University.
- Richard Lushai, Richard is going into his third year of Bachelor of Science in Integrated Engineering at UBC Vancouver, with a combination of Mechanical and Electrical Engineering as well as a minor in Physics. He previously completed a diploma in mechanical engineering technology with a specialization in robotics and automation.
- Maya Pajevic, Maya is entering her third year of Information Design with a minor in Social Innovation at Mount Royal University.
2020 Summer Students
- Kumel Amjad, graduated with a Bachelor of Science in Exercise and Health Physiology and was completing his master’s degree in Biomedical Technology, both being at the University of Calgary.
- Tuba Bukhari, Bachelor of Science (BSc) degree with a focus in biology and was completing her graduate studies in the Master of Biomedical Technology (MBT) program at the University of Calgary.
- Nour Hassan, was completing her final year of Bachelor of Health Sciences, majoring in Health and Society at the University of Calgary.
- Jenny Lee, was entering her third year in Chemical Engineering with a minor in Biomedical Engineering at the University of Calgary.
- Kathy Liu, completed her undergraduate degree in Interdisciplinary Medical Sciences (HSP) at Western University and was completing her master’s degree in Biomedical Technology at the University of Calgary.
- Madeleine McKenzie, was completing her undergraduate degree in Cell and Molecular Biology at Concordia University in Montreal.
- Syed Rizvi, was completing his undergraduate degree of Health Sciences, majoring in Biomedical Sciences at the University of Calgary.